Business and education are two huge forces propelling individuals and society into action. In trying to understand the right role of business, and righteous business creation, we have uncovered many gems, and found new paths.
In life, we meet so many heroines and heroes. We had the great fortune to meet Kerstin Utas (1946 – 2013), whom we fondly called Justine, as justice seemed so much part of her nature and personality. Justine was part of the initial working group in Sweden that started Humana People to People.
She was a person devoted to action, to getting things done, rather than time wasting, shoulder-patting committee meetings.
I only knew her for the last 10 years of her life, and recognized always that I was in the company of someone with great depths, with much to offer, as yet, unexpressed. We sought out her thinking in India, and later in Sweden, on business creation that would have as its goal the upliftment of society. At my urging, she wrote down the guidelines and principles that she and her friends humbly followed to create Humana People to People, now a multinational organization.
Principles & Guidelines for Starting and Running an Organisation
by Kerstin Utas, 2012
Initial Working Group, Humana People to People
Say you are a group of people who want to start an organization or project;
- Agree to:
- stick together for three years to start with;
- have little care about whatever there is for living, live simple and put all the rest into the project:
- not marry, not have children, and not use drugs or alcohol during this time;
- not count working hours;
- take any task that is of the use for the project;
- make decisions by consensus even when the discussion gets long and difficult.
- Do it (whatever it is you plan to do) for your own sake and out of compassion. For no other
reason. Always do what you feel is righteous. The only reason for your work is to express Dharma. Nothing else – when we start to look at it more deeply – is a good enough reason to do anything at all.
- Carry your heart outside your shirt and your hands outside your pockets
- Do not take money from others. Make your own money. With money comes dependence. Through this back-door sneaks something you might not want.
- Keep bureaucracy at a minimum. Do not specialize – be jacks of all trades. Always make the
work a service, not a power platform.
- Stay true to the vision – make sure you have one – and at the same time be exacting on every
- Remember that failure does not exist: only experiences exist. Do not hang on to what proves not to be useful. Let it die. If someone accuses you of failing, respond: “Is that so?”
- Never count on (good) publicity. Publicists of all kind have their own motives. Here something
can sneak in that back-door again. Use the jungle drum. Let people tell people about your work, knock doors, spread pamphlets, make road shows, whatever.
- When the organization or project grows (after a couple of years) divide into small self-sufficient units. Have the courage to let them make their own decisions. Just be of service to them with your experiences if they want it. What can not survive will die – that is OK. Use the cooperative idea to keep the “movement” together, if you wish it to keep it together.
Remember that organizations follow the same principal as everything else in nature. They are born, they are full of life, they grow, they mature… and then they start to die. In my experience, an organization’s lifespan is between 20 and 25 years. If it survives after that, it is probably no longer alive; it survives as a dead body, more or less. Cooperation is a way of fooling death, so to speak.
- Follow the laws of the country (even when they are stupid).
- Meet every year in a nice place in nature. Check if you are true to your ideals in every little
detail of your work. How do you deal with money, people, publicity, etc.? Can you be proud of
Now I am not talking about the countable results. That is another meeting. I am talking about how you go about getting your results. Is your work 100% following the ethics you started out with?
- Have fun.
An outcome of those initial efforts can be seen here: http://www.humana.org/
Latest posts by PK Willey (see all)
- Federal Proposed Rule, excerpt: Historical Role of Conscience & Contemporary Distortions - May 30, 2018
- Clarifying Gandhi # 12: Basis of Education is Family - April 4, 2018
- Clarifying Gandhi # 11: Self-Governance with the ideal of Non-possession - February 12, 2018